Dec 24, 2013

Upside Down

Everything seems upside down to me in this moment.  It's Christmas Eve.  If you were inside my home, you'd never know.  This is the first year - ever - that there are no decorations at all.  None.  No Christmas tree, no stockings, no garlands or even a wreath on the door.  It's that way for a couple of reasons, really.

First, we've purposefully chosen to back away from some of the traditional Christmas things, because we've learned about where those traditions originated.  It's been a journey, but over the course of about three years we've felt that God was asking us to let them go and focus more on Him.  However, last year, even though I didn't put up a tree, I did decorate.  I hung our stockings on the mantle and decorated the mantle wth fun things, and I decorated the kitchen and dining area with fun, wintery candy and snowmen.  There wasn't a tree, but it was festive and fun.  This year, there's not of that.  Our home is in the middle of a never ending remodel.  There is no mantle, not much furniture and it really isn't even a comfortable place to me.  I just couldn't see the point of fussing over decorating for winter when there isn't any other piece of decor in the house.  There aren't even any baseboards!

My bare living room
Because we've focused more on the Biblical feasts, we celebrated Hanukkah and we chose to give the kids a few gifts then.  There is not one box wrapped up waiting to be opened tomorrow.  We celebrated with my mom this past weekend.  The kids got gifts from that part of the family.  Another extended family celebration is coming up this weekend and there will be more gifts then.  The final extended family get together will be the weekend after New Year's, and yet more gifts then, too.  So, it's not as if the kids are suffering.  They are very blessed.

I truly, absolutely love celebrating the Biblical feasts.  I can't imagine wanting to put them aside at this point.  And yet, lately I have felt myself missing some of the traditions that I grew up with and that we created with the boys for so long.

This evening, though, we shared a simple meal with friends of ours from church.  Two of my favorite couples came to share dinner and enjoy each other's company.  It was a sweet time and I enjoyed every moment.  Then, we loaded up and headed to deliver gifts to a family who have lost their income in the last few months…a family that we love and is very dear to our hearts.  Seeing the look on their faces and their Christmas tree go from having no packages to being overflowing is the highlight of my week. There were more than a half dozen adults and kids carrying gifts…a present parade marching right up that sidewalk.  Joy.  Unspeakable joy.  Not from getting, but from giving.

Upon our return to a quiet, half empty home I started to really think about this season….the way we've done it before, the journey over the past few years and also the way it looks and feels right now.  Then I happened upon Ann Voskamp's site, A Holy Experience.  I saw her upside down tree a few weeks ago and thought about hanging one myself.  I would've if I could've figured out how to do it without making a mess of my ceiling.  Jesus wasn't born at this time of year, but when he was born he didn't arrive with twinkling lights and piles of expensive gifts.  He did get some nice gifts eventually - frankincense, myrrh and gold were gifts fit for a king, but He didn't actually get those until he was a toddler.  He lived upside down from the very beginning.  He gave, cared and poured out himself to others.  I don't think he'd be sitting here tonight imagining a beautifully decorated home and wishing He had one, and I'm afraid if He saw me here doing it, I'd likely get a gentle correction.  But I do think He would've been proud to join us as we blessed a family and showed them how much we love them.

Upside down.  It's interesting that in some ways it feels so strange…off balance…completely different and maybe even uncomfortable.  But upside down, growing out & expanding like Ann's tree is exactly what makes life larger, more beautiful and full of the sweetest gifts ever.  Those gifts have nothing to do with tinsel and ornaments and everything to do with loving people that God brought to you for a purpose ~ loving them.  My home looks a bit upside down this season, but our hearts and lives have opened up and grown a little wider and are much fuller.  Upside down is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment